Thursday, January 9, 2014

Smoking Sucks

I wrote this while I was bored in one of my college classes. If anyone out there has ever tried smoking or has thought about it, well, this one is for you.

(c) A.F. 3/8/12

I fumble with your thinly rolled paper, awkwardly attempting to mimic the pose of actors in those old, black and white films.
I've never done this before.
We fought. In spite, though against my better judgement, I agreed to this.
The lighter flickers in the darkness, and your filter glows as the early-dawn.
I hesitantly place your dime-store tip against my pursed lips, and inhale.
The dirty, smoke-house (that is you) fills my mouth.
I've never done this before.
Eleven minutes - each stick. Eleven minutes, every time. You are a killer, a cancer, a poison.
Disguised in a tiny, white tube; in a small, square box; with a meek, hazard label.
Coils of grey eat at my ivory teeth, at my fleshy-pink gums. I swallow.
The disease (that is you) takes a wrong turn. You fill my stomach with ashy smog.
My lungs are surprised, and confused.
You are twisted.
And I am naive.
We were never meant to be.
I have successfully failed. I've never done this before.
Tomorrow I'll be sick. My organs will scratch and cough. I have rejected you.
I am ashamed to have known you.
You and I shall never meet again.

(c) A.F. 3/8/12

No comments:

Post a Comment