Thursday, September 26, 2013

Villanelle Poetry

I took a class on poetry back in college, and I really liked the way that villanelle's are laid out. We had an assignment to right 1 villanelle poem, but I decided to write two. So here they are.

Poem number one is called "Winter" and it's about two lovers who have to hide their love from the world. I didn't go into detail and you can interpret it the way that you want. But every now and then there are people throughout history who have to keep their love a secret for some reason or another.

(c) A.F. c.2009

Winter 

Her eyes - reflecting winter's light
Her cheeks - a pinch-pink rose
She watches the snowflakes; crystal white

Her whole world sparkling bright,
A love that no one knows,
In her eyes reflecting winter's light

Never to be alone at night
Her happiness - it show
As she watches the snowflakes; crystal white

Her beauty's an angelic sight,
The frost bites at her toes
Beneath her eyes reflecting winter's light

Her heart beats true, with all its might
Upon her lips - his kiss glows 
Yearning! She watches the snowflakes; crystal white

A secret, which could be their plight,
Tied tight as Christmas bows
Her eyes reflecting winter's light
As she pleads to the snowflakes; crystal white. 

(c) A.F. c.2009 



The second poem I wrote (also a Villanelle) is pretty easy to understand. But basically the narrator was so depressed with her life and the loss of a loved one (possibly a break up) that she slits her wrists and dies. I know it sounds depressing, because it is depressing. A lot of depressed people out there have had problems with cutting and it's pretty serious so I sometimes draw attention to "taboo" topics like cutting and suicide, and even depression itself through my poems. I'm not saying I agree with it or not, but for the purpose of the poem the narrator considers suicide the "worst sin" yet is so depressed she can not get passed it. Anyway, here it is. 

(c) A.F. c.2009 

The Worst Sin 

I place the blade against my skin,
Tears fall from my eyes
As I commit the worst sin.

All the things we should have been
Were nothing more than lies,
So I place the blade against my skin.

Never to be in pain again -
No more tears, or sighs,
Should I commit the worst sin.

Desire to live wearing thin,
My broken heart - it cries - 
When I place the blade against my skin.

To rid this Hell I'm living in,
No time for last goodbyes
Before I commit the worst sin.

Memories from way back when,
All feeling slowly dies.
Once more, I place the blade against my skin
Ending it all as I commit the worst sin. 

(c) A.F. c.2009 



No comments:

Post a Comment