Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pretty? In Pink (The Dress)

I might not have been born in the 80's but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the epic John Hughes movies - including the 1986 film Pretty in Pink starring Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer.


Personally, I love the movie. Duckie is one of my all time favorite 80's characters. But I have to say, I was completely disappointed by Andy's (Molly's character) prom dress at the end of the film. Supposedly she's really into making her own clothes and she loves the color pink - so she takes two adorable dresses and sews them together to make her prom dress (because her family can't afford to buy one). The dress that Andy looked at in the department store early on was like $400 and it looked like this:

 
Unfortunately, the dress she makes is a hot mess - it's a complete and utter disaster. And if she was hoping to impress Blaine (the character she has a crush on) - then she's lucky he didn't run in the other direction because of that atrocity. I remember another blogger defining this sad excuse for a prom dress as a "pink potato sack" which is both hilarious and accurate. For those of you who don't know what the horrible dress looks like, take a look:


And now I'll show you pictures of the two dresses that Andy cut up to make this sack. The first picture is a vintage 50's dress that her friend Iona wore to her own prom, and the second picture is of the dress Andy's dad gets her from a thrift store or somewhere:


Honestly, she could have easily worn either of these two dresses - they're both adorable and prom-like. But instead she reeked havoc upon them with her scissors and sewed together this monster:


Not only is the dress incredibly ugly (honestly, somebody should have fired the costume designer) but there is a scene at the very end of the movie where Andy kisses Blaine in the parking lot, and clearly her dress is see-through. I mean, I guess I shouldn't have had high hopes for this god awful gown from the design Andy drew out early on - there's just no shape to it at all.

I hope that after the film was made somebody burned the dress, really. At this point you might be asking yourself, well what did you have in mind for Andy to wear to prom? To which I would answer, something a bit more like this:


A dress like this would have been perfect for Andy. It would've showed her girly side, the fact that she loves pink, and it would (for sure) have made Blaine and all of his friends turn their heads. Especially since the pink contrasts so well with Molly's red hair (She wore pink in the Breakfast Club & Sixteen Candles as well). I guess that concludes my rant about the Pretty in Pink dress, let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment