Anyway, one of my all time favorite potato recipes came out of those American Girl Doll books, and I'd like to share it here with you. It's called VOLCANO POTATOS, takes about 30minutes to make, and serves around six people (unless you really love potatoes like I do).
Ingredients 1) 6 large potatoes 2) 2 tbsp butter 3) 1 tsp salt 4) 1/4 tsp pepper 5) 1/2 cup milk 6) 2 egg yolks 7) Shortening 8) 6 tbsp grated cheddar cheese 9) Dash of paprika
1. Peel the potatoes and cut each potato into 4 pieces.
2. Put the potatoes into a saucepan and cover them with cold water.
3. Turn the heat on high and bring the water to a boil.
4. Turn down the heat until the water simmers. Put the lid on the sauce pan and cook the potatoes for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, insert the fork into a potato piece. If it goes in easily, the potatoes are done.
6. Place the colander in the sink. Take the hot pan of potatoes to the sink and pour the water through the colander.
7. Put the potatoes back into the saucepan. Use the electric mixer to beat the potatoes until they are smooth.
8. Add the butter, salt, pepper, milk, and egg yolks. Beat the potatoes with the electric mixer until they are light and fluffy.
9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use paper towels to grease the baking dish with shortening. Spoon 6 mounds of mashed potatoes, each about 3 inches high, into the baking dish.
10. Use the rubber spatula to shape the potatoes into volcanoes. Use the spoon to make a crater in the top of each volcano.
11. Fill each volcano with a tablespoon of grated cheese. Sprinkle paprika on top.
12. Bake the volcano potatoes until the cheese melts and browns slightly.
13. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Use a metal spatula to loosen the potatoes carefully from the bottom of the baking dish. Lift them directly onto each dinner plate.
I hope that you enjoy these potatoes as much as I do! And don't forget to share them with other potato lovers you know!